[Blabber] Lots of soldering, tips and tricks?

James Carpino jamescarpino at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 10 19:15:20 UTC 2017

Yes.  If you oxidize off and let it get down to the steel, it turns red, that's rust, and eventually that stuff disappears and you have a bad tip.  Not all tips have steel, it seems to be a good feature.

Some cheap irons can have good tips that last a long time and withstand a lot of abuse.  "Better" workstations are temperature controlled (with a thermometer in the iron), but I find that if I keep the iron so not hot that it doesn't oxidize, it isn't fun to use because it doesn't carry a lot of heat or transfer it quickly.  The tip has some inertia and is a heat reservoir.  If you don't put a lot in, you're not going to get a lot out.
On that note, Microcenter has an 80w pencil tip iron for $17.  I don't recommend it but I'm really curious about that.  I think I have to buy it just to have it, for those nasty desoldering jobs.

James