[Blabber] Lots of soldering, tips and tricks?

James Carpino jamescarpino at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 16:14:59 UTC 2017

My biggest tip is use a hot iron.
In my childhood I generally used a 15W Radio Shack soldering iron because it had a nice shaped tip and that was what I could afford.  I learned to deal with it, and perhaps my soldering wasn't that bad, but it took a while to heat things up and flow the solder in properly.  25W was about the same.
 Once I had a real job doing soldering and got to use a temperature-controlled Weller station, the quality and speed of soldering I got went way up the scale.  I found that I could work well even with a low quality unregulated 50W iron (with a fine tip); you have to watch that it doesn't overheat, and cool it on a wet sponge as you go.  But since you don't know how hot it is, you have to get a sense of it from letting it heat up and seeing the difference.

This is my favorite iron.http://www.mpja.com/Mini-Solder-Station-ZD-99/productinfo/15860+TL/
You can use any 40-50W iron with a fine tip.  I've used a 40W iron from Microcenter, but it doesn't get quite as hot as the 50W.  For fast repetitive soldering I really like 50W.  If you are fighting to keep it cool, that's better than fighting to keep it hot.

If you tend to overheat the iron as I do, buy some tip tinner as well.  People tend to overuse it but it certainly doesn't hurt.this stuff:http://www.microcenter.com/product/425044/Tip_Tinner

Also, for reasons I don't really know, the 15W iron blew through tips like crazy, and the 50W tip lasted a long time (5 years of similar use).  Perhaps I just learned to take better care of it, I don't know.

Wet sponge, tip tinner, hot iron.  I think that's a George Thorogood song.
James