[Blabber] Lots of soldering, tips and tricks?

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Sat Sep 9 14:59:04 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I'm that lurker from Brooklyn, hoping my question is OK here,

Can anyone point me to any tips for soldering lots of wires at scale?
Like making jigs for soldering, or tips for holding the material, or
tips for how to apply solder to expedite things?

I'm soldering up a project with a big chain of high power shift
registers, soldering more than I've ever soldered in my life.  As an
amateur, I'm competent soldering components to boards- but now, I have a
*lot* of wires to solder down and I'm fumbling through it too slow.

For anyone curious, I'm driving 12v LED strips from TPIC6B595 shift
registers.  My LED strips RGB, the cheap kind that are common these
days.  I have nearly 200 strips to solder to, (4 wires each, at least
the wire I have is a strip of 4 wires), Pictures attached.

Thanks- any thoughts much appreciated!  (Even if your only suggestion is
'work faster' ha).

Best,
.ike