[Blabber] Funny Robotics Rescue Mission with Prize, (OT?)

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Tue Nov 21 01:35:43 UTC 2017

Hi All,

An off topic but fun robot/vehicle problem for this list, with a prize.

Is anyone on list into robotics?

CHALLENGE: A racer has lost a 6" model car under a our floor.  We want to recover the car, (the racer spent a lot of time building it!).

Prize for someone who's got the robotics chops to fish it out: a free car to build and race on the track!

No line of sight to the car, not accessible in a straight line, and no way a human can crawl under.  It's about 30' to this prized competitive race car, from a 12" opening.  The attached photographs were made by sticking my arm through the hole with a camera and flashlight...
The car itself is roughly 6" long (1/32 scale), and weighs no more than 170g.

The only way I can imagine we'll fish it out it is with a vehicle driven by wire, and some kind of camera on top to see where we're going, (even crudely).  (A go-pro?  A hacked old smart phone cam?)

A simple could certainly be used to fish the car out.  A 1/10 scale RC car would be about the biggest thing that would fit.

--
Contact me if you want to attempt the rescue, and here's more info about our track/racing/maker/art event:

https://mini4wd.nyc/
http://www.visionaireworld.com/blog/vis-racing/

Aside from this rescue challenge, folks on this list please feel free to come by!  Use of our Tamiya Mini4wd track installation is free- and car kits are available to build on site.

Best,
.ike