[Blabber] Motorized rotary selector switches?

Guan Yang guan at yang.dk
Tue Jan 24 03:09:31 UTC 2017

By “rotary selector switch” I mean a switch like you might find on a radio to switch between Off, AM and FM. It rotates, and you can feel a “click” at each possible selection. It might rotate indefinitely, or there might be a limited range of rotation.

Motorized rotary potentiometers are fairly common. These are often used in high-end stereo for volume controls. You can change the volume by turning a dial manually. But you can also change it remotely, and the volume dial will physically turn if you change the volume using the remote.

My question is: do any of you have experiences with (reasonably small) motorized rotary selector switches? With maybe 4 or 5 options, where a motor can change between the options if they have been selected remotely.

Here’s one:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Free-Sample-Motorized-Rotary-Switch_60521579929.html

But it’s 75x75mm!

Here’s a smaller one:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/motorized-rotary-switch_1385412669.html

Is that part what I am describing? It’s not clear to me that it has discrete selections, rather than being for continuous rotation. Is it easier to have a continuous version and have some kind of external spring mechanism to get the fixed positions?

Are they easy to drive? Reliable? What happens if you turn it while the motor is on?