[Blabber] Weird 3d Printing Asymmetry Flaw

Chris Stratton cs07024 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 05:10:47 UTC 2017

In a fit of holiday hubris, I purchased an inexpensive 3d printer kit
to be given as a gift, thinking I'd assemble, test, and tune it before
presentation.

Alas, it has me stumped!   I figured out the belts of this direct
drive extruder but otherwise ultimaker like contraption laser cut
plywood cube, fabricated a base for the missing Y axis limit switch on
my existing printer, and I learned about Z offsets.

But much to my surprise, files that print fine on my prusa-style
printer come out with a very odd Y axis asymmetry on this one.

I'm not sure if the attached picture will come through, but

X-oriented vector shell lines are about 3mm too positive in Y on the
left side of the print, and 3mm too negative in Y on the right side.

Contrastingly, the raster infill is either in the right place, or at
least has much less error.

And this repeats layer after layer stacking up in the same wrong place
each time, so I don't think it can be a slipping or skipping steps
issue.

Is there some kind of acceleration or backlash settings that can cause this?

Firmware is some mystery vendor build of Marlin, slicing is Cura.

Anyone have any ideas?  Apart from missing parts the mechanism seems
decent so I don't really want to send it back, doing a custom firmware
build wasn't really in my plans for the coming week, but if that's
what it takes to fix it...

Chris