[Blabber] Building an electric skateboard (for art)

Chris Stratton cs07024 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 01:47:07 UTC 2016

A DC motor with a single pulse per revolution encoder (optical or
magnet/hall) may be easiest.

Some brushless motor drivers from the RC world are ATmega-based, though non
Arduino, and they implicitly know the commutation rate which is a small
fixed integer multiple of the rotation rate.  But if your wheel is in
contact with the ground you probably need a "sensored" motor with three
hall sensors in it anyway, and a car vs plane/quad type driver able to read
those for reliable operation at loaded starting speeds.