[Blabber] Switching long strings of LEDs

Rob Johnson darnrascal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:05:09 UTC 2016

Looking for some advice:

I'm helping a friend with a project, she's trying to control "strings" of
LEDs, i.e. a chain of 10-25 LEDs in series. Control == switch them on and
off sometimes, don't even need to do pwm.

Because the current requirement for a string is pretty low (30ma, or so),
I'm thinking of playing around with a MAX6922 VFD tube driver, as this is
serially controllable, and can output 76v*40ma per pin.

I'm now stuck trying to find a reasonable Boost converter that's small, and
can get me 60-75v from 12v (preferably 9v or 5v). Ebay has a few things
that can get me 40v
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-3V-35V-To-4V-40V-Step-Up-Power-Supply-Module-Adjustable-Boost-Converter-/122271129659?tfrom=121419164360&tpos=right&ttype=coupon&talgo=undefined&autorefresh=true>,
but I can't find anything better. A 40v source will be ok, since that can
power 13-20 LEDs but if I can get more volts, I can get a better result,
and it would be a shame not to.

TL;DR
Where can I get a small boost converter that will give me 60-75v @ 1amp, or
even less (I can probably make 1/4amp work)?

Happy new year,
-Rob J