[Blabber] Encrypted SD card

Phil Herlihy flippy9 at philherlihy.com
Wed Dec 14 19:00:51 UTC 2016

IMO, it’s a significant risk to put any kind of read-back functionality into the unit. I like cat pictures. Plausible deniability is necessary.

The best chance of success for is to have it be a dropbox/blackbox style unit. Data being streamed into the card is encrypted as it is written and never read back. There would need to be some bookkeeping, such as a pointer to the last write in the partition (that might be a bit tricky), but otherwise absolutely minimal plaintext data.

Based on the model you created, the file-specific key would have to be generated on the SD/camera, then the file-specific key would have to be stored on the SD card (encrypted with the pub key of the secure device), so that it could be recovered once the SD was inserted into the secure device. Every time the SD/camera was powered on, this process would repeat. Sound about right?