[Blabber] Interesting Idea - PCB resist generation

Matt Lynch njdevil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:14:39 UTC 2016

Though not directly related to what you guys are talking about, I do have
extensive experience repairing HP LaserJet printers in the late 90's &
early 2000's.
I would guess that their recipe for Toner hasnt changed, so here's some
info:

1. MSDS: Ive had to research their Toner MSDS because of a few toner
"accidents" (where it went EVERYWHERE).  At the time it was perfectly safe,
just that you have colored boogers for the next week (from inhaling it).
It the biggest "accident", mine were Cyan/Blue.

2. Operation: Inside the printer, the Laser "etches" and causes a static
electricity difference on the surface of the Roller (usually a Light Blue
plastic substrate).  This Roller and the Toner are contained within the
Toner Cartridge.  As the Roller continues to spin, it rolls past the Toner
storage/hopper and the Toner adheres to this static difference.  The Roller
continues to spin and presses the Toner onto the Paper.  The Paper then
moves past a Fuser (heating element) to melt little microscopic plastic
balls inside the Toner.  This is how the Toner sticks to the Paper, there's
actually a bit of melted plastic that bonds with the paper.  The Toner is
incapable of adhering to anything but differences in electrical charges.
Without the static electricity, Toner becomes airborne very easily!