[Blabber] Interesting Idea - PCB resist generation

Robert Diamond rmd6502 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:32:31 UTC 2016

I was listening to "Still Untitled - the Adam Savage Project" podcast, and
he mentioned an interesting technique that he called "boutique laser
printing".  Basically run a laser cutter in raster mode over a piece of
paper that's covered with toner and fuse the toner in your pattern.

So imagine doing this on a PCB?  Bulk toner is cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-MFC-7460DN-MFC-7860DW-DCP-7060D-DCP-7065DN/dp/B004WSO73W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460643847&sr=8-2&keywords=bulk+toner

Caveats:  since toner is meant to respond to static electricity I don't
know how much will stay on the board.  Since it's a lightweight powder you
can't use the fan for ventilation, and I have no idea how toxic toner dust
(particularly burnt toner dust) is.  I also don't know how long it would
take to coat the laser cutter lens (and thus crack it).

Still - could be fun, especially if the problems above could be worked
around somehow.