[Blabber] Aluminum Prusa i3 Opinions?

James Carpino jamescarpino at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 23:26:48 UTC 2016

Almost every bearing in my Folgertech acryclic i3 went bad.  That includes at least one of every kind of bearing, including one of the Z motors.  And not heavy use.  Several bearings went bad early.  (And the stock feeder was just a nightmare.)

Also, Prusa i3's are inherently wobbly and you will find them flexing if you don't pick a rigid flat table to run it on, and don't move it around.  In contrast with mendelmax, makerbot, ultimaker, which all have rigid frames (and deltas/rostocks which have the *potential* to be rigid framed).  Also in contrast with the Printrbot style printers which are wobbly but unaffected by transport.

Disclaimer, I have no direct experience with the aluminum extrusion-based i3's, they may be more rigid, right?  but I think most of the hardware is the same, and the configuration, and the inherent flexibilities may remain.  Judging by looking at it, I think it's a good starting point, just needs a little shoring up... but I said that about our Makerbot clone and look how that turned out.

James