[Blabber] Passive Wifi offering a 10, 000x reduction in power consumption for remote Wifi nodes

Guan Yang guan at yang.dk
Fri Apr 1 16:11:59 UTC 2016

This confuses me a little bit. I thought I understood the pros and cons when this was publicized - you waste a lot of power transmitting all over the place in case someone wants to transmit. But the benefit was that this would integrate with existing wi-fi networks. If you don't need Wi-Fi compatibility, you might be able to energy harvest enough energy for a lower power network, or find some other solution.

But I don't quite understand the concept of a device that only transmits, and does not receive, wi-fi signals. This works for a wireless protocol that supports that, but for Wi-Fi, it seems such a node would not be able to integrate very well with an existing Wi-Fi network. How would it receive acknowledgments and retransmit, for example?