[Blabber] Logging water temperature

Robert Terzi rct at r-t.org
Mon Oct 19 14:36:51 UTC 2015

I'd use a waterproof DS18b20 sensor and an Arduino, RPi, or long cable to the closest computer, router, etc, that I could run software on.  To me, that would be simple, I realize  that wouldn't meet most people simple criteria.

Over the summer I picked up some waterproof sensors from a presumably Chinese seller on Amazon to be used in HVAC monitoring for maybe $2 a piece.

The Dallas now Maxim 1-wire stuff can run over long distances using two wires.

There is a lot of software for reading and logging 1-wire.   If you want to go directly into a computer, you need a 1-wire adapter.

If your application wasn't to measure water temperature directly, there would likely be a number more off the shelf approaches.  There are probably some Bluetooth low energy devices that can be paired with an android or possibly iOS device for logging.

HTH,
--Rob