[Blabber] Tinkercad?

Jon Pellant jpellant at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 13:54:41 UTC 2015

No one has mentioned FreeCAD. Both FreeCAD and OnShape are parametric solid CAD.

Parametric CAD is good in that you can easily sketch a view, add constraints until fully constrained, then generate a real solid. Many other CAD are surface modelers which are fine for 3D graphics but not ideal for 3D printing or CNC. I have seen issues with surface models that do not generate good solids and require a lot of back and forth between CAD and CAM environments.

Myself, I have switched from Inventor to OnShape. I am a SolidWorks guy so I am used to thinking about design in those terms. Since OnShape is made by former SolidWorks employees, I find everything rather intuitive. Inventor is fine, but outrageously expensive.

OnShape is great (so far) for makers and hackers because it is built from the bottom up as a social collaborative environment. The only thing I don't like about it is lack of access to scripting or programming.

OpenScad is a non-standard c-like environment. FreeCAD and Blender use Python as its base and expose all of the functionality there.

I have used Blender for 3D graphics work and have even done some physical modeling with it. It lacks Parametrics and good measuring tools so not very practical for designing widgets.

One other thing about OnShape is that it supports iPhone and iPad. This works out really well for sharing things with collaborators. I am converting a lot of folks over in my maker space down here°.

2¢,
Jon
w1jp

° I was one of the original HM guys but moved to FL in 2011. I have winced help start up another maker space (suncoastmakers.org). Be sure to stop buy if you are in the area.