[Blabber] Manned mission to Mars in 2018 proposed to Congress

Nickolai Belakovski nbelakovski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 18:49:48 UTC 2013

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2013/11/20/dennis-titos-prepared-remarks-congress-human-mars-mission/#more-50783

The Cliffnotes:

Dennis Tito, former NASA engineer and world's first space tourist, created
an foundation called "Inspiration Mars" earlier this year to explore the
possibility of taking advantage of a rare alignment of planets occurring in
early 2018 to send a 2-person crew on a journey around Mars and back to
Earth, without landing on Mars.

He has proposed to congress that initial work on NASA's Space Launch
System, which is currently scheduled for its first flight in 2017 to send
an unmanned Orion capsule beyond the orbit of the moon and return it, be
redirected toward his foundation's mission. He proposed that NASA invest
$700 million into the mission and that $300 million can be raised with
private funds.

It's a pretty exciting opportunity, and certainly more worthy of our (the
taxpayer's) money than a quick little trip to an asteroid just past the
moon. I hope the idea gains at least enough traction to generate some real
discussions in congress.

--
Nickolai Belakovski
Purdue University : Class of Dec. 2011