[Blabber] Rooftop Dye Garden - Parsons class visit

Peter Shenkin shenkin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:01:47 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM, citybadger <citybadger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On short notice, Victoria Marshall and about 8 of her students from
> Parsons stopped over today, .... They went up on the roof, looked at the
> space, and discussed placement for ... their Dye Garden.

Hi,

Can you say more about this project? I had not heard of it before (that I
recall), and I don't think it's been mentioned on the mailing list before.

I can guess it's to grow plants for vegetable dyes. Anything more?

If we can get the temperature warm enough to cultivate prickly pear cactus,
we can grow cochineal insects.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

Here's an even better article:
http://m.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2120796/Starbucks-admits-Strawberry-Frappuccino-contains-crushed-bugs.html

-P.