[Blabber] DLP based UV photopolymer 3D printer

Peter Shenkin shenkin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 09:01:05 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Guan Yang <guan at yang.dk> wrote:

> From what I can gather at 1:30am on #reprap IRC, the object is printed top
> to bottom, so the top layer is printed first.
>
> Initially the stage is in the vat. When you cure the first layer, it
> sticks to the stage.
>
> When you move the stage up, only the fresh polymer in the vat actually
> cures because the UV lamps have limited range. For high resolution, you
> turn down the power so only a little bit of resin cures.
>
> So: it's not the case that only the bottom "layer" cures, it's all the
> resin within a certain range of the light source. But if that range is
> short and precise enough, you only cure a particular layer.

But in the diagram, the light is shining up through the liquid polymer, so
the stage and the piece being formed are farthest from the light source. It
must rather do with the focusing of the lens onto the point  farther up.
Still, it seems that some polymer closer to the bottom of the vat will
polymerize. All the light appears to pass through the vat of molten polymer
before it hits the piece being formed.

-P.