[Blabber] Enom registrar watchout

Rendall rendall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 18:10:58 EDT 2012

Hi everyone.

I just want to give you a head's up that recently the domain registrar
Enom... I can't describe it any other way than held my domain name hostage
for $250.  It's resolved now, because I resolved it by letting the domain

Enom's story is that they tried to auto-renew when my registration was up,
but that the credit card was old.  They sent out several notices over email
and I never responded, so they had no choice but to let it lapse.  However,
as a service to me, they kept it out of the wild and I could have it back
for a $250 service fee. Moreover, it's not their responsibility to notify
me of registration expiration, and that I as the customer should keep track
myself.

My story is that I got all of their marketing noise over the years *except*
for any critical email.  I only found out there was a problem when emails
to my domain bounced. I truly believe they didn't send me that information
deliberately: many companies or individuals could not risk losing their
domains and so would fork over this "processing fee". When you lose a
credit card, who thinks to update their domain registrar?  I only interact
with them once every two years. In one swoop, Enom earns what represents 8
years of legitimate revenue. Sure they'll lose a few customers, but even if
they lose half, they still make more money than if they behaved. I think
it's sketchy, and I'll be damned if I pay that.

If you're using Enom as your registrar, make sure your credit card info is
up to date, and don't rely on them to tell you when your registration will
expire. Better yet, find a better registrar.  I'm ashamed to say, I went
with GoDaddy. Not that they're paragons of princely morality, but at least
they'll send out a freaking renewal notice or pick up the phone.

Sorry for the rant.  The only way I can hit back is to let folks know.