[Blabber] Set up new peecee

Joe Sadusk joe at sadusk.com
Mon Feb 13 13:41:00 EST 2012

Also if you want to get fancy you can do a pxeboot install over the local network.  This is actually easier from fedora than it is with ubuntu.  You get the install iso, mount it locally on another machine like someone's laptop, set up a tftp server on said laptop set to serve out an install kernel image, and then just boot the computer on the same network.  I've done it a million times, its not as complicated as it sounds.

That said a thumb drive is probably simpler if you have it on hand.  As for distros, I'd be for either ubuntu or fedora.  I was a redhat admin for years and used fedora at home, but at some point ubuntu just surpassed redhat based distros in polish, and software became easier to find for ubuntu.  However I absolutely despise the new ubuntu UI, and fedora has come a long way in seamless setup, so I'm thinking of switching back.  Debian is great, but the looooong release cycle just makes it hard to get bleeding edge stuff on it, and I think that's something we want to do.  Although honestly disk space is dirt cheap these days.  We can throw a 2T drive in there and put 5 different OSs on it if we really feel like it.

Joe