[Blabber] Monthly meeting is this Tuesday (April 24th)

Kenneth Gutierrez kennypg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:51:14 EDT 2012

This issue has come up before and people are split. Some have, no doubt
legitimate, privacy concerns.

For me. however, it's more a matter of aesthetics and a chance to implement
what Rendall dubbed "open-source surveillance."

I simply like the idea of being able to show whats going on inside the
building on the outside of the building, perhaps with a projector or even
just a flat-panel monitor attached above or to the doorway.

Some of the cams I've brought in are so dinky, that, if mounted  high up in
a corner, I'm pretty sure all that anyone could make out would be people
moving around working with some kind of tools. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think
that we could lower resolution to the point where faces were no
recognizable. (Also, for the super-pricavy conscious, an 'off' switch,
shouldn't be too hard to add to the set up.

Growing up in the concrete canyons of Manhattan, maybe the idea of a
building that strives for transparency has special appeal to me. It seems
warm and inviting (not to mention, for those who still retain negative
associations with the word 'hack' it would convey the sense that we have
nothing to hide.

If your IP cameras work, I for one would be overjoyed to have them at the
building (though I am prepared to shell out for new ones if necessary). I
really feel the need for a camera on the roof ASAP.

 - Kenny