[Blabber] infrastructure choices

Peter Shenkin shenkin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 16:52:39 EST 2011

Re. Goofle Apps:

"If you are a U.S. nonprofit organization of ... under 3,000 users, you can
apply for the free Google Apps for Education through the Google for
Nonprofits site."   See http://www.google.com/nonprofits/.

Of course, once we reach 3000 users we would have to pay. But we can
reconsider at that time. ;-)

I think we'd be crazy (not to mention suckers for punishment) not to take
advantage of this.

Beyond this, Mailman doesn't provide reasonable search facilities. One can
indeed subscribe to google groups by email and that gives you an archive.

My whole company (about 175 people) moved to Google apps a few years ago
and, although there are small annoyances (e.g., sometimes there's a delay
in looking up email), there have never been catastrophic outages, as used
to happen for, say, a day at a time about twice a year.

I personally like the Gmail interface, but some of my colleagues access
their email via POP or IMAP and use their preferred mail clients. (There
are some small gotchas if you use IMAP, but I have good instructions for
working around them.)

In addition, there's a third-party service called Spanning Sync which a
Google Apps account can use to backup all email, contact and calendar
events. I use it on my personal account.  (I *think* it now covers email
too.) I don't know if they have special terms for nonprofits.

Google Docs is great as well.

-P.