[Blabber] [spam] Tiny Talker pilot kits - at cost

Chris Stratton cs07024 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 00:05:55 EDT 2011

On Nov 3, 2011 8:13 PM, "Ananda" <ananda.das at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering, is there an amp and where does it store the audio?

There is a small speaker and a TPA701D amplifier which should provide about
200 mW on 3 volts provided by two AAA cells.  The idea is that it spends
most of its time in microampere sleep mode and then wakes up in response to
the tilt switch, says something, and goes back to sleep (perhaps after a
short delay during which it might be more interactive).  The amp & speaker
are loud enough to surprise people in spaces where they aren't expecting to
hear something, but an outboard amp (and probably more filtering) would be
required for public spaces.

Storage is a 4 megabyte (32 MBit) spi flash from microchip.  I usually run
16 KHz 8-bit mono audio, so that provides 250 seconds of clips.  Firmware
is in its infancy, but it should eventually be able to handle an arbitrary
number of clips.   One thing I'd like to try is to record numbers
separately and make something which can string them together to announce
sensor readings.  I haven't pursued it yet, but a quick look at the
attiny85 data sheet seems to indicate that pin 2 - the one that is entirely
unused and so available for expansion - has an ADC.

Unfortunately I'm way behind on the documentation effort - I've been trying
to get this and a second project in the production queue since there's a
two week lead time on the boards, and then go back and fill in some of the
blanks while waiting for them.  I do apologize that what it is / what it
does is still rather unspecified at the moment - hopefully that will be
fleshed out soon.  I'll hopefully be ordering real production quantities
before long and plan to keep having a substantial discount for Hack
Manhattan people.  Maybe someday we'll be able to do our own group PCB
orders and shave at least a few days off the time, since right now the
boards have to go first to the guy in Oregon who puts the batch together to
be broken up, and then be re-shipped to all of use utilizing his service.

Chris