[Blabber] All welcome at general meeting Tuesday Nov 1st @ 7:30PM

Guan Yang guan at yang.dk
Tue Nov 1 19:11:54 EDT 2011

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the meeting tonight, sorry for the late notice!

I did some work on the bylaws that Daniel started in the wiki. What's there now is complete, but largely reflects my biases, and I don't know if it would make sense to use them as a starting point tonight when I'm not there to explain.

If you discuss bylaws tonight, and decide on something else, I'd be happy to write up whatever is decided.

But in case of interest, here are the unusual/surprising features:

- Quorum: a majority of the members required for quorum, but if there's no quorum, the questions discussed can be pushed to the next meeting, at which there's automatically a quorum for those questions. Ensures that there won't be major problems if people simply don't show up.

- Board consisting of a president and 3 other directors. President directly elected by London-style instant runoff (alternative vote).

- Direct election of other officers optional, otherwise appointed by board. If other officers are not directly elected, they're normal board seats subject to election by instant runoff vote. If officers are directly elected, it's possible to run for, but not be elected for, multiple offices.

- Officers and directors can be recalled, but the threshold is quite high.

- Higher vote thresholds for adopting changes to bylaws or Certificate of Incorporation.
/Guan