[Blabber] Manhattan hackerspace is happening!

Daniel Packer dp at danielpacker.org
Thu Aug 25 16:21:08 EDT 2011

Hey folks, these intros and ideas are excellent. Keep them coming --
we have over 30 folks on the mailing list. We'll soon start figuring
out a first meeting time. I'll send a doodle poll out to figure out
the best time/date. Shall we meet at the bar under the space we've
been offered?

We currently have an offer to take over a very tiny and very
affordable space near 14th St and 6th Ave, which is really central. It
may be a good place to start, though we'd quickly outgrow it. The
landlord is flexible and basically just wants to help us get going.
He's a generous and unusual person. Did I mention there's a bar
underneath? :)

My personal background is primarily in software engineering, web
development, design, with a tiny bit of hardware/engineering,
security, etc. Worked in corporate IT doing sysadmin and web since
1997. I've been fascinated by bio-sensors (microvolt signals) such as
EKG/EEG for a while. I'm also generally excited about computer
engineering (logic design), microcontrollers, robotics, security, and
novel software ideas. Excited about tech/bio ethics and cyborg tech.
I'm currently a full time bioinformatics student at Hunter College, so
I have some time flexibility

Public Service Announcement: Non-profit hackerspaces depend on member
dues (typically $50-100 per month) to operate. You probably already
know dues are involved, but, I wanted to make sure everyone knows how
the space is funded. Details to be discussed once we have a committed
pool of founding members (to be determined at the meetings).

-Daniel